Tuesday, January 25, 2011

MUSICAL HIGHWAYS.

Isn’t it crazy how music has the power to take us to different moments in our lives? Today, as I was waiting for the bus in the snow, I was listening to a song that took me to a different country and re-introduced me to a moment where I was lusting after a guy that eventually broke my heart (he was the only one who ever did that to my heart, other times, I think I did that to myself in breaking other peoples hearts).

And, then it took me on a run – the longest run of my life – where I played the song on repeat for nearly an hour and a half, because I was so high from the guy who broke my heart giving me the song and telling me that it reminded him of me.

The song never made me sad. The heart break past, and then I carried it with me to new moments and new travel and new adventure. So, when I listened to the song this morning it was like traveling through a series of moments in my past in a 2 minute and 25 second span.

And I thought to myself, wouldn’t it be amazing if songs could really take people on adventures through different space and time? What if we could use songs to lift people out of hard situations, so that if someone was suffering after an earth quake we could play them a song that would transport them into all the happy memories they ever had? And that way they could know that one day they could be whole again – that as long as they stayed hopeful they could feel joy again. 

(Image from: http://www.pennymindflower.com/)

1 comment:

  1. Shauna I will always remember you with "April come she will".

    ReplyDelete