Saturday, May 15, 2010

SNOW GLOBES.


When I was little I used to collect Disney snow globes. You know, those circular glass balls filled with little people. And little trees.  Or little flowers. Or little boats. Or little houses.  And when you turn them upside down or shake them sparkles fly through water like miraculous snowflakes. And also at the bottom there’s a metal peg that you wind and music starts playing.

I think I loved them so much, because I liked the idea that my existence could be in a snow globe. And that God or a giant or a wizard could be holding my life's snow globe and looking in. It made me feel really tiny when I thought about it, and I liked it, because then it made my problems seem tiny, so that every time I was sad about something I could just hold the globe and listen to the music and my problems would shrink.

And, I also liked them, because they usually capture exciting scenes frozen in time. And then I thought that maybe our time moved really slowly, and that 1 second could be God or a giant or a wizard's 1000 years.

And, I also liked them, because every time it snowed I imaged that it was probably because God or a giant or a wizard turned the globe over to make their own problems seem little too and so I was happy solving a problem for someone.

And, I liked Disney.

No comments:

Post a Comment